caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Feedback Number of Active Seller Listings

ikeo1

Administrator
Staff member
With the recent increase in signups and increased listings. I have to look at cost structure to get ahead of costs. Obviously, this might be a sensitive subject but I am running this site out of pocket without any advertisers at the moment.

I'm building out an advertisement system but until I can implement it, I wanted to ask the community what your thoughts are on limiting the number of active listings.
  • Currently the limit is set to 5 active listings per user with 3 images each.
    • The file size is limited to 150kb per user which we shrink on the backend one the user uploads.
  • 5 listings x 3 (150kb) images = ~2.25 Mb per user
  • At our current scale if everyone had a listing 1500 * 3(150kb) = 6.7Gb of images + bandwidth to serve to users.

Proposed
  • The thought is to limit the listings to 3 active for registered member where its 9 images * 150kb = 1.5Mb free + transfer .
    • I may need to limit it to 1 image .

I'm being super transparent with everyone because why not.

If you want more listing or would like to help out the service sign up for a membership to receive 8 listings x 5 images for $5/mo or some fixed amount annually / semi annually.
  • Benefits of a subscriber program
    • Supporter Badge
    • More listings
    • More images
    • Banner for your profile
    • Fewer ads once they get implemented
    • Early access to new features and documentation
    • Other things as we continue to build out the system.
I'm alright now, but I'd like to get on the same page with the most active users so that when this does go down, its not a surprise and well discussed.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm alright right now, but if we get to 10k-20k its going to start to cost some meaningful $ and I'd like to be prepared vs. surprised so that we can continue to build all the way to 50-100k users without an issue.

I hope its obvious, I don't expect everyone will pay or want to. I just need enough who believe in the platform to help foster its growth and keep it going.

You can leave a suggestion below and readers can upvote what you think are good alternatives.

Thank you for reading and contributing!

I think your idea is very fair.

One thing I always liked to see on Calguns were old marketplace listing for firearms that I was either interested in selling or buying used. It was always helpful when guys wouldn't delete old listings or wouldn't delete their original price tag. There were a handful of times I'd even reach out to the OP after a year of no activity on their sale thread only to find out the thing was never sold and still available to buy! So I'd like that sort of implementation be had now here on CAGuns.

I totally get that leaving historical years-old posts up like that would be costly in the long run but perhaps in due time the site will have the income to maintain that.

There were a handful of times I'd even reach out to the OP after a year of no activity on their sale thread only to find out the thing was never sold and still available to buy! So I'd like that sort of implementation be had now here on CAGuns.

This is already implemented. Users are not allowed to delete listings. They can edit and close but it will stay on record and will still be searchable. The listings will just change state after ad expiry so we have a way to organize stale listings. Users can relist but again not delete. I like to keep a record too for the feedback system to link back for verification purposes.

Another thing to consider, if users opt to not be a paid member for the increased # of listings/photos, most likely they will be using the one listing to place multiple items and using the 3 photo limit to show a "group photo" of everything. Not trying to corner the users in that aspect, but it becomes a bit like GAFS in that sense. Also the use of imgur links for more photo capacity.

I honestly love to support communities when I can, especially ones like we have here. With that said, I do not disagree with the proposed idea @ikeo1 . It was already discussed from the birth of this platform that costs will increase with growth, and the financial burden shouldn't be solely placed on your shoulders (my opinion at least.)

most likely they will be using the one listing to place multiple items and using the 3 photo limit to show a "group photo" of everything. Not trying to corner the users in that aspect, but it becomes a bit like GAFS in that sense. Also the use of imgur links for more photo capacity.
Yeah, that's ok. We mainly just want to add value. They don't have to do that if they subscribe but there is a work around to save a couple bucks. Also, bumping will be restricted to once every 7 days.
It was already discussed from the birth of this platform that costs will increase with growth, and the financial burden shouldn't be solely placed on your shoulders (my opinion at least.)
You and a few others have been very generous and I sincerely appreciate that. At this piont, I'm recovering my initial investment and planning for growth. I'm communicating the changes early so there's ample time for discussion and preparation. At this point, on the backend the site is automated, so operationally its easy to maintain. From a moderation standpoint, I'm still working out the bugs, but we'll find ways to refine that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back