caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

How to get your CCW with the LAPD

fifer55

CAguns Supporter
Calguns Verified
Lucky for us, Los Angeles Police Department (incorporated city in LA County) makes it super easy to obtain a CCW License. The backlog however is another story and I wont mention that or the politics behind it. This is just a step by step on HOW to obtain the license.

First, inform your self by visiting:
Step 1

Cheat sheet for qualifying for a LAPD CCW license:
  • Do you live in LA CITY? (hint, are the police cars black and white and say on the side LAPD?) IF yes, jump to next, if not, this post doesn't apply to you
  • Are you over the age of 21? If yes, jump to next, if not, wait until 21
  • Can you buy a gun now? If yes, jump to next, if not, this post doesn't apply to you and talk to attorney to get your rights back
  • In the past 10 years have you basically: been convicted with a violent, weapons, drug, hate crime? (sources: (main PC 26202), PC 422.6, PC 422.7, PC 422.75, PC 29805, and more) if yes, you can't apply for CCW with the LAPD, if no, apply with the LAPD but have any pertinent paperwork from the issuing department saying what happened and when.
On that last one, let me explain a bit. When I was younger (over 20 years ago), I got caught, charged with of the following:
  • Loaded gun (12031(A)(1))
  • CCW (12025(A)(1))
  • 211 (PC)
The 211 was dropped and I got convicted of the rest. After that and up until now, I have been clean and straight.

In my interview, I gave them all the pertinent paperwork from the issuing PD and the DA. I still got my CCW application approved with no issues.

Back on topic, in these steps:
  • download the LAPD CCW application
  • email your name, mailing address and phone number to [email protected] to be put on waiting list to schedule in-person interview
  • wait to be contacted for in-person interview (this will be MONTHS so be patient)
  • once you get your in-person interview scheduled:
    • get a cashiers check OR money order for the initial fee ($53)
    • get your LiveScan application done by choosing one of these places (CA DOJ approved LiveScan locations) and paying from $90 to $120 (depending on the location)
    • choose, schedule and pay a LAPD certified CCW course (prices range from $200 to $500)
    • have all YOUR paperwork ready (2 forms of ID and any/all supporting paperwork if you have been convicted of a crime)
  • on the day of the interview, take with you the above (if applicable) and the location they send you for the interview is here. (see below on where exactly it is)
  • interview will be quick and simple, give them check, paperwork, they will ask you questions and thats it. You will be in there with about 5 other doing the same
  • since you did LiveScan already and training, you are just waiting for approval
  • wait to be contacted for approval and pick up date
  • go to pick up at LAPD Headquarters, located here. Take your ID and your final cashiers check or money order for $215
That is a summary, so a lot of details where omitted and a lot of assumptions are made, the biggest one is that you don't have any crimes on your record less than 5 or 10 years, depending on what it is. Choose 3 guns and standard mags are good to go in LA City. If you want to practice before, use this as your guide.

I cannot stress this enough, be PATIENT. There is a huge backlog.

Regarding on where to go for the in-person interview and the final pick up?

Initial interview:
Yellow is where you will PARK your car.
Red is where you WALK to the green gate and check in "I am coming for my CCW interview" and they will just point up
Keep walking on the red line to the pink building, there you will walk to the second floor and will see a CCW interview sign, and thats the place you want.
LAPDCCW_Interview.png

For the final CCW license pick up:
Par anywhere in the yellow box and walk to in the red line and at the front desk, tell them you are there to pick up your CCW and done.
LAPDHQ.png

Hope this helps and if I missed something, let me know and I will update!

This post is from MY experience from when I applied for my CCW (October 2022) and picked it up (December 2023). I would have gotten it sooner but there was nothing like this to guide me and did things out of order which delayed my CCW.

Last i heard they are asking for you to wait until you receive the approval letter in the mail before you take the classes
you can take the classes ahead of time, but it is your own risk if you get approved or not and waste the money. I think they are just asking that you NOT send in the training until you have received the approval letter

In my experience, I submitted my initial application in July of 2021 and obtained my CCW in January of 2022. I live in the San Fernando Valley here in Southern Ca and it was the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department that I had to go through at that time. It is my understanding that for a time the CCW process did transfer to the LAPD but when I had to go through the renewal process i was informed that I was to go through the LASD as they were being distributed via that agency again. I'm not sure if it was just because I got my initial CCW through the LASD or if new and renewal CCWs have returned to the LASD but if you are instructed to go through the LASD, the Lost Hills Department was the application turn in center.

Last i heard they are asking for you to wait until you receive the approval letter in the mail before you take the classes
What 09cs said.
I JUST got mine. Didn’t wait for approval, just went and did it after my interview.
Once I got approved, I sent my paperwork in (for the classes I did in the meantime) and got my permit within a few weeks.
Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back