caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Do you intervene?

DDM4556

CAguns Supporter
Calguns Verified
When you hear bad sales people giving bad advice at your FFL, do you ever intervene?

We have specific rules at my company, among them are listening more than talking, never disparaging another product/brand, and provide the "why". Listen to the customer, make your recommendation without trashing other products, and explain why you make your recommendation. Simple.

Saturday I overheard cringeworthy employee help a new gun purchaser make a buying decision by sh*tting on multiple brands, ignoring questions and explaining absolutely nothing. Poor guy had been saving for months. His whole family was there (dad, mom, sister) to watch and support this purchase, which had obviously a been a big decision collectively. All he needed was a little guidance.

I could've answered his questions, pointed out a few options, and helped him make the decision. Instead, I stood and bit my tongue. As always. I don't want to create friction at my FFL... or so I told myself.

Has anyone else actually manned up and intervened? How'd it go?

I never really intervened. I figure its not my place to, but if someone asks me a question, then I will mention it. Sometimes, I might prompt the guy to do more research before buying that's about it. That's one of the reasons we have areas here. There's a whole section dedicated to reviewing that is untapped.

Since the classifieds area seems to be in good shape from a functionality perspective. I'm moving to the next phase to build out the review section. People will be able to review Brands, Products, FFL's, etc.

I don’t intervene unless it’s over the top bad advice. I actually can’t think of a time I injected my opinion unless I was asked.

There are many related questions. For example, you're at the range, and the person next to you does something stupid or unsafe. Do you intervene? You're chatting with another shooter at the range, or another customer at the gun store (for example while waiting for the counter staff), and they do or want to do something illegal or dumb. Do you tell them or teach them? You observe a gun store customer doing something which is clearly illegal, do you tell the counter staff?

One of my favorite gun store anecdotes: I go to a store to pick up a gun that has been waiting for 10 days. As I walk in, I notice there is a big old Detroit hog (like a Buick or such) with a very large male listening to music in the parking lot, with the engine running. OK, it's a free country, people are free to waste gasoline while enjoying what I consider bad tunes.

Inside there is a line for the counter, and the person in front of me in line is a super hot looking young woman (I'm a hetero horny male). She is carrying a Ruger box, and I have a few Rugers, so to start a conversation (mostly it's my hormones speaking), and I ask her what model she's buying. She doesn't know. I ask whether it's a pistol or revolver (I'm very fond of the Ruger single action cowboy guns), and she doesn't know. I decide that further chatting (= flirting) isn't going to go anywhere, so I leave her alone.

She gets to the head of the line, does her DROS paperwork, and leaves. Now I'm the only customer left in the store, so I ask the counter guy: "What's with her? She's buying a gun and doesn't even know whether it's a revolver or a pistol". They explain: She was there yesterday with her boyfriend, and he picked out the gun, and today she's back by herself. Then I ask "did you see the guy waiting outside in the car", and yes they have him on the security camera, and he was the guy who was here yesterday with her. And he tried buying a gun a few weeks ago, and is prohibited and was denied. So I ask "doesn't this have straw purchase written all over it", and they go "what can we do, she's not illegal".

At this point, do you intervene? Do you call the ATF? I did nothing: picked up my gun, went home, and had a stiff drink. Another felon is now in possession. Good for him. Even better, his lady is really hawt. The world is one screwed up place. Is it my job to rectify all wrongs?

I always intervene with "Guns kill, don't do it" with a straight face, then immediately ask to dry fire the Chiappa Rhino and do my best John Wayne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back