caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

New Features Added & Suggestions

doser

Staff member
CAguns Supporter
Calguns Verified
Feel free to use this section to offer suggestions. I’ll also use this section to post changes and updates. I’m looking forward to hearing more feedback to see how we can improve the experience.

Some recent additions:
  • Default to dark theme.
  • Enhanced Navigation
  • Classifieds Sections
  • Product Reviews & Community Ratings
    • Members can submit Reviews & Ratings including YouTube video responses
    • The community can upvote on which reviews are useful

Updates will be posted here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Small request, not of overwhelming importance:

The overview page shows the subforums, starting with General Discussion, New here, Site Feedback, and so on. Looking at that page, I can't tell whether a subforum has new content or not. Once I go into a subforum, I can see which threads have new content, by their thread names being boldface or not. Can we turn on boldface-vs-regular also for the whole subforums? I know it can be done in XenForo, because other forums have it.

While I'm complaining: Even within a subforum, the difference between regular and boldface font for the thread names is not very noticeable, as the font doesn't change width a lot. And there is no hint with color. Can we make that difference bigger? Here is a screen shot from another XenForo forum, to show making it easy to see what has new content:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.25.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.25.50 PM.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 2
The overview page shows the subforums, starting with General Discussion, New here, Site Feedback, and so on. Looking at that page, I can't tell whether a subforum has new content or not.
Can you attach a screen shot of what you see? There should be a new tag, plus a filled bubble in the new theme, if you're using it.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.31.17 PM.png

Can you attach a screen shot of what you see? There should be a new tag, plus a filled bubble in the new theme, if you're using it.
Yes, there is a bright orange "New" tag, which I completely missed. And I can't even claim bad eyesight as an excuse, since I have an EXCELLENT optometrist, and clean glasses. Sorry about that ... ignore me, most other people do too.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.48.11 PM.png

Is there a way for users to edit their post after its made? The only edited posts I've seen are from the mods.
There's no time limit to edit posts in the forum. There is in conversations to 15 minutes. This is to ensure people don't change prices after the fact. You should be able to edit the post above. Are you not able to? I just checked you can edit, but you cannot delete.

There's no time limit to edit posts in the forum. There is in conversations to 15 minutes. This is to ensure people don't change prices after the fact. You should be able to edit the post above. Are you not able to? I just checked you can edit, but you cannot delete.

I can't edit the post I made above. There's no button or menu I see unless I'm missing something...

Never mind I see the edit button. I'm using dark mode and the report and edit buttons are very faint and don't contrast with the gray background. Maybe you can make the text color brighter in dark mode.

Maybe you can make the text color brighter in dark mode.

If you hover over the text it highlights. Its faded out to save battery on mobiles, less pixels to brighten. If people say it enough otherwise we’ll leave it for now. thanks for taking the time to comment! Lmk if you find other things.

If you hover over the text it highlights. Its faded out to save battery on mobiles, less pixels to brighten. If people say it enough otherwise we’ll leave it for now. thanks for taking the time to comment! Lmk if you find other things.

My point is I didn't see the report or edit texts, and wouldn't know where to hover. There is very little contrast between the text color and background color. It's more of an accessibility feature. But I have middle aged eyes and don't see as well as I used to. Thanks for all your hard work.

Last edited:
My point is I didn't see the report or edit texts, and wouldn't know where to hover. There is very little contrast between the text color and background color. It's more of an accessibility feature. But I have middle aged eyes and don't see as well as I used to. Thanks for all your hard work.
I have the same problem; I find switching to light mode in preferences is a good solution. (I'm strictly a browser user, generally don't care for phone apps.)

As @Librarian mentioned there is a light theme that will help with high contrast. It’s on the top menu bar.

Press the little light bulb to turn on the lights. I tried to give people options. The font is also enlarged.

IMG_2587.jpeg

Can we get a shotgun forum?

What do all of the symbols next to your screen name mean?

What do all of the symbols next to your screen name mean?

Hover over the "badge". Different Badges are different snapshots in the sites development right now.

Blue Early Bird Retired - Signed up on the first release to Reddit March 26/27 - < 100 given out - Free
Mobile Beta Tester Retired - < 20 First people to test the mobile app and do QA on it to function test. - Free
Reddit badge Retired > 400+ users from r/CAguns available for the first 1k members given out - Free
Coffee cup - $ donated
Blue Jedi - Calguns Verified member - Paid
Green Dragon - Squad Dragon - If we squad or your see a CAguns.net sponsored event and take a picture with the banner at an event, you'll be granted a green dragon. - Free

Thinking about doing this to help getting the word out.

New Badges
*Instagram - Post about us/Story and tag us and you'll get his badge - Free
*Youtube - if you do a feature on us and post a video on your channel - Free

We retire them so there's incentive for early adopters. Plus it helps identify who's been around the longest. We'll add some other free ones down the road as we continue to go. Some paid, some given away, and some as prizes.

Unless I'm missing it, there isn't a way to look up all the classifieds that you are watching like a Saved section Offerup or FB marketplace.

Unless I'm missing it, there isn't a way to look up all the classifieds that you are watching like a Saved section Offerup or FB marketplace.

In the top navigation, you can click on Classifieds > Watched ads. Let me know if that works for you.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 4.07.16 PM.png

Green Dragon - Squad Dragon - If we squad or your see a CAguns.net sponsored event and take a picture with the banner at an event, you'll be granted a green dragon. - Free
Can you expound on this, I’ve read it a few times and I’m not understanding?

Can you expound on this, I’ve read it a few times and I’m not understanding?
It's like a scavenger hunt. CAguns will be sponsoring some events. If you take a picture with a banner, post it here and you'll get a green dragon. That or if we squad at the range for a uspsa match. So there are a couple ways to get it.

It's just a way to gamify the badge hunting. They're more of a collectible.

It's like a scavenger hunt. CAguns will be sponsoring some events. If you take a picture with a banner, post it here and you'll get a green dragon. That or if we squad at the range for a uspsa match. So there are a couple ways to get it.

It's just a way to gamify the badge hunting. They're more of a collectible.
I see, thank you for clearing that up for me.

How is this going to work across the different geographical regions and shooting disciplines?

I don’t know where the core CAguns Admin are located but if they’re in the Bay Area SoCal wouldn’t have many opportunities for a badge, same for trap, High Power, IDPA, etc to feel the love.

I don’t know where the core CAguns Admin are located but if they’re in the Bay Area SoCal wouldn’t have many opportunities for a badge, same for trap, High Power, IDPA, etc to feel the love.
We're just in the beginning stages. As we grow, we'll definitely add more opportunities for that. Right now its still all out of pocket, so its just competitions I'm going to and sponsoring. lol As we get more well known, I'd like to work with more clubs around CA to host/sponsor/collab with events. We have some connections in SoCal we're working on who host events. So they would count as well.

I appreciate the enthusiasm. We're taking steps to grow the site, starting with the ways we know how, learning as we grow.

I appreciate the enthusiasm. We're taking steps to grow the site, starting with the ways we know how, learning as we grow.
It looks like you have your core admin doing the heavy lifting, just a thought, you could try adding “associates” or an auxiliary corps that can supplement and fill in gaps for different locations and shooting disciplines.

I’m not volunteering but using myself as an example, my son shoots in the CYSSA, a youth shotgun league. We shoot and travel every weekend to Los Banos, Ione, Sacramento, Davis, Stockton, and Livermore. His state championship will be in the Bay Area and his national championship will be shot in Las Vegas. I’m out with him setting up awnings, barbecuing, keeping score, rain or shine, it wouldn’t be much extra effort to fly the CAguns flag/banner at these events. With 150 student shooters in attendance that’s a lot of exposer.

It looks like you have your core admin doing the heavy lifting, just a thought, you could try adding “associates” or an auxiliary corps that can supplement and fill in gaps for different locations and shooting disciplines.
We’ll get there when we get there. The plan is to consistently move forward. We’ve been fortunate to have that happen on Reddit hence the Reddit badges. We have some calgunners and Facebook folks. Well grow, those badge might not reach you right away, but we’ll make steady progress over time. We’re just getting started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back