caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Civics 101 CA law resources - where to find the Official Information

Librarian

CAguns Supporter
Calguns Verified
California law is on line at Code Search; gun laws are principally in the Penal Code, but a few are in other Codes. Please note that the Penal Code was renumbered in 2012, and substantially all of the '12000' numbered sections were moved to the '16000' section, "Control of Deadly Weapons". Resources using the 12000s are out of date - even pages at the DOJ.

The text of the laws does NOT include the results of court cases; there is no requirement that the Legislature amend the codes when a court rules a part is unconstitutional or interprets the 'black letter law' differently. The prominent example is Penal Code 16840, "Loaded" - that was severely modified by the court case People v Clark (1996) 45 Cal.App.4th 1147 , 53 Cal.Rptr.2d 99.

California bills in the legislature are on line here. Bills are not yet laws. When quoting laws, it is much better to quote from the on line code than from a bill - there is a process of making bills conform with each other, performed when all the interacting bills have been Chaptered, and the actual law may be different from what is in the last versions of the bills.

Last edited:
Si.

My personal goal is to help folks with accurate and pertinent information, so they might make good decisions in their circumstances.

What folks actually do is up to them, but I really hate seeing stuff like 'when did this become law?'

Getting stuff out to gun owners shouldn't be limited to one or two sites.

Very happy and glad to see you here Librarian, I'm sure with you around CAguns will be in good hands with accurate information

We're glad to have you here. @Librarian and I are working together to design & organize a space under the Resources tab to build a catalogue of the valuable information he generously offers to the 2A community. Hopefully, we can build something that is better organized, structured, easy to share, and discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back