caguns.net

Tired of Calguns older Marketplace that can't upload pictures or do feedback ratings?

Try our Search function! Listing am item is easy and easy for people to find things.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate and use features that aren't available to guests!

Really wish people would switch over to CAGUNS

BrunoMarz

Just my experience even with the smaller/newer growing community it just feels like a better site and functions properly. Hopefully we can push out to more users to transition over and also hit up CAguns on Reddit which is also a pretty big community. How is all yalls experience so far here?

Just keep posting here and it'll grow eventually. That being said, calguns is doing some kind of a migration/upgrade. We'll see how it goes afterwards.

It's been cool to see the growth here over the last few weeks. As word has spread on Reddit, along with the unfortunate delay on their update, folks have gradually trickled over here as it's been filling the gap. Just give it more time and folks will see the light.

I'm new to this site, but enjoying the improvements quite a bit so far.

In terms of switching over, I've got too much hard-earned feedback on Calguns to simply walk away. If this site can figure out away to merge that feedback, I'd be all in. I don't see how that's possible, so I'll be happy to remain a member of both.

Also, Calguns has done a LOT for the 2A community and myself, and I will continue to pay for my membership regardless of whether I make CAguns my primary choice. I will make the same commitment to this website, as soon as I'm sure it's here to support the 2A community.

Hopefully we can push out to more users to transition over and also hit up CAguns on Reddit which is also a pretty big community
We’re pretty well covered in the Reddit community at this point.

Now it’s just patience and word of mouth. I don’t think there needs to rush, constant growth helps me fix issues along the way to make sure the experience is consistent. The surges in growth will come. Once CG comes back online, it’ll be interesting to see how everyone adapts to the new environment. Overall we want both communities to thrive, it would mean 2A is growing in CA.

Since we just finished our first month, we’ve come A LONG way. The people with the blue bird have seen it every step of the way.

The best way now is list something or let people know or ask if they’ve heard of us at your local club or ffl.

And if you do IG 😉

IMG_2560.jpeg

I'm new to this site, but enjoying the improvements quite a bit so far.

In terms of switching over, I've got too much hard-earned feedback on Calguns to simply walk away. If this site can figure out away to merge that feedback, I'd be all in. I don't see how that's possible, so I'll be happy to remain a member of both.

Also, Calguns has done a LOT for the 2A community and myself, and I will continue to pay for my membership regardless of whether I make CAguns my primary choice. I will make the same commitment to this website, as soon as I'm sure it's here to support the 2A community.
I’ve never once looked at a sellers feedback on Calguns. Part of it is because it’s a face to face, highly regulated transaction at a retail store. The other part is I suppose I’ve been lucky. Been on there since 2008 though!

We just need more discussions here. The for sale stuff is picking up. If you’ve got a gun you even thinking of selling put it up for sale. We just need critical mass.

I’ve never once looked at a sellers feedback on Calguns. Part of it is because it’s a face to face, highly regulated transaction at a retail store. The other part is I suppose I’ve been lucky. Been on there since 2008 though!
That's kind of strange IMO. I've never not checked feedback. If no feedback, post count is better than nothing. I've never been scammed and all transactions have been smooth. Also, not all transactions are FTF.

A few different "not CGN" place have tried to launch over the years. Usually they dwindle off relatively quickly. Maybe a better chance here of sticking since there is already a built in user group/culture from the r/ . Most people just want free places to list for sales posts.
I always look at feedback mainly to screen out whiners and time wasters.

Most people just want free places to list for sales posts
I tend to think differently. I think people want a community and then things stem from that. I also think we have a bit more to offer in terms of features and UI experience.

All things being equal if most wanted a free place to list, this place would be better as of now. But people will stay loyal to Calguns, myself included. I think you can tell though that leadership doesn’t want to improve, which is ultimately the problem, even if we want to help them.

This group is growing beyond r/ as well, we have more and more clubs, FB groups, Calgunners, etc joining day by day. I asked r/ to help me build. They did and it’s being recognized by other people.

The real reason this place will grow is that it’s a good environment for communicating with each other. This isn’t my first rodeo. You are correct though communities do fizzle over time.

My question is that once CG does come back online without iTrader and everyone loses their trade history, what then?

Here, the vision is to make a 2A resource hub each with its own Section. Legal opinion, classifieds w. Feedback system, discussion, events, product reviews, bringing 2A together with multiple events and different resources in one place. Starting with the forum seeding it with classifieds, but gradually building piece by piece.

I didn’t just throw up a forum and say hey, we’re the new calguns! A lot of thought and intention went into every aspect of the design from data structure to how people search for just about everything, even to increased font size for older eyes and dark/light themes for mobile and payload sizes. Re-writing documentation after every batch of users, not to mention infrastructure design and so much more. I think people recognize the effort and also know this is what it should be like in 2024.

The community will decide the usefulness of this place, I’ll provide the tools. I think chances are good though. I want calguns to stick around, more communities are better. I offered to help with their situation and would’ve offered to host or help with technical advice if he accepted. Running these kinds of boards is not easy. I can easily go back to my tech job but instead I’m leveraging my experience for the 2A community because I consider myself part of the community and think I can help to elevate the experience.

Forgive me for the soapbox moment but I spent way more time, effort, money, than someone who just throws up some forum software and calls it a day

Thanks for joining the conversation.

I will be happy to support both communities. We need more resources for 2A education and support.

I. Running these kinds of boards is not easy. I can easily go back to my tech job but instead I’m leveraging my experience for the 2A community because I consider myself part of the community and think I can help to elevate the experience.

Forgive me for the soapbox moment but I spent way more time, effort, money, than someone who just throws up some forum software and calls it a day

Honestly that is probably where things will end up. Admin/running this place will eventually become too much of a resource suck as it grows and the noise starts to crowd out the fun. Enjoy it while it lasts, it is magic until it isn't.

All things being equal if most wanted a free place to list, this place would be better as of now. But people will stay loyal to Calguns, myself included. I think you can tell though that leadership doesn’t want to improve, which is ultimately the problem, even if we want to help them.
I think all what you say is true except you’re missing the reason that Calguns marketplace got popular: there’s literally no other option. Nobody wants to use Armslist. Mainstream sites/apps like OfferUp and eBay won’t let people list. Reddit is particularly aggressive against offering things for sale.

Normal forums have the marketplace grow as a side effect of being a communication hub. Guns are different.

I originally found CalGuns (and AK Files, Arfcom, etc) the same way most guys did... I had a problem or question that I searched up in Google and found my solution in an old CG thread. I think that's the most organic way to bring in new members: creating a robust base of discussion for new folks to stumble upon.

CAGuns was pointed out to me by a user on CalGuns who pm'd me about it after I posted a b*tchy complaint about CalGuns not working lol. Of course I didn't actually sign up here til just a few days ago when CalGuns went down.

Fortunately CalGuns is still offline right now, so I'm sure there will continue to be an influx of new users signing up during this period and that's gotta be helping the admin team here pump those numbers up.

I'm sure there will continue to be an influx of new users signing up during this period and that's gotta be helping the admin team here pump those numbers up.
Lift Off Moon GIF by Stakin

We make it 🚀 or crash and burn!! 🔥

Just my experience even with the smaller/newer growing community it just feels like a better site and functions properly. Hopefully we can push out to more users to transition over and also hit up CAguns on Reddit which is also a pretty big community. How is all yalls experience so far here?
So far my only complaint is that I wish posting pics was as easy as it is as on other sites. Having to use imgur is a bit of a PITA but it is what it is, and I get that's probably platform dependent.

So far my only complaint is that I wish posting pics was as easy as it is as on other sites. Having to use imgur is a bit of a PITA but it is what it is, and I get that's probably platform dependent.

Why are you using Imgur? That’s actually the point of a paid membership. You can just attach a file instead of go through the hassle. Pay for your bandwidth. Otherwise use a free service. 3 images are included here for free per listing. If you look at the listings they’re hosted here. Any more than that you gotta go copy/paste. I’m paying for the image transfers if you use a lot of images, if you know what I mean?

I would gladly support both platforms. Being a new member to the community when I first started to learn and research I was told Calguns wa
While yes Imgur can be an extra step (Imgur I think is still a good and reliable 3rd party site for hosting pictures) I still think the 3 free pictures is a fair trade for not a choppy & laggy website/forum. Usually for myself when I do PPTs if I’m serious I ask them to send me more pics via one of my public emails. But to each their own thou and I definitely get your side of the coin 🪙 at times I just wana post lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back